Across the Gobi Desert
Adventurous journey across the Gobi desert takes you to the various landscapes and clay cliffs where Dinosaurs laid eggs million years ago.
Explore magical lands of Baga gazriin chuluu national park, limestone cliff, Ice valley and Flaming cliff. Visit Ongi monastery built on one of world energy centers in the Gobi desert. Study more about the 13th century Mongolian empire in Kharkhorin town and wild horse in Khustain national park.
2 personUSD 1100
3 to 4 personUSD 940
More than 4 personMore attractive price upon request
Include4WD vehicle transportationBottled waterAirport pick-up & drop-offMeals as indicatedFees for activitiesAdmission feesEnglish speaking guideAccommodation as indicated
Not IncludedPersonal expensesTravel insuranceTipping(optional)Visa application & feesInternational airfares
DAY 1: Baga Gazriin Chuluu
This morning, Travel Buddies guide and driver will pick you up from the hotel and head to the Baga gazriin chuluu national park. You will enjoy the scenery of rolling hills, roaming camels, traditional Ger and endless step along the paved road. Have typical Mongolian meal for lunch in a local town. This afternoon we will reach the national park and walk through the lunar like granite rock formation. Continue the trip with a short drive to the nomadic family where we experience the nomadic life of winter. Help with daily chores including rounding up the herds of sheep and goat, milking them and cooking. Stay overnight in a private Ger and host will heat it lighting the stove. There is an great opportunity to marvel at the numerous stars during the night. Accommodation: Nomad family | Meals: L, D | Distance: 260km - 5 hours
DAY 2: Limestone Cliff Tsagaan Suvarga
Today we will drive to Tsagaan Suvarga; an incredible 30m high white limestone formation in the Middle Gobi. This marvel cliff where you can hike, provides a magnificent view from the top and looks like a ancient ruined city from the foothill. Have lunch in a local town. Once at the cliff, take a photograph of the colorful cliffs and have breathtaking time looking over the steppe. Leaving the cliff, we drive to the south Gobi on paved road and have comfortable stay in a “Khan-Uul” local hotel. Accommodation: Khan-Uul local hotel | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 530km - 8 hours
DAY 3: Hiking in Ice Valley & Flaming Cliff
After breakfast, get ready for a hike in Ice valley of Three beauties mountain. Reaching the valley breathe in the crisp, cool air of Vulture valley (Yoliin Am) with a stunning hike along a frozen stream and ice. There is a chance to spot ibex, wild sheep and bearded vultures in the park. Visit a small museum displaying collection of dinosaur eggs, bones and exotic stuffed animals. Following the hike, we will drive to the Flaming Cliff also known as Bayanzag for a few hours over dirt road. Hike through the cliff area and explore the Gobi shrub forest. Enjoy a short Bactrain camel ride (two humped) with a sunset in the Gobi. Stay overnight in a private heated Ger next to a camel herder family. Accommodation: Nomad family | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 130km - 3.5 hours
DAY 4: Hike in Ongi ruin
Today we will travel to the heart of the desert and marvel at the Ongi monastery. One of the largest Buddhist temples in Mongolia, Ongi was built in 17th century and was a home for over 1,000 monks. It was ruined during political repression. The ruin of Ongi Temple lies on the bank of the Ongi River the only river in the Gobi Desert. We will walk through the ruins and visit the restored temple. Also hiking to the Buddha statue sitting on the mountainside will offer a great view of the river and surrounding areas. After the hike, we will take a short drive to a welcoming our nomad family and stay overnight in a private heated Ger next to a nomad family. Accommodation: Nomad family | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 170km - 4 hours
DAY 5: Former Capital Kharkhorum - Erdenezuu Monastery
After breakfast in the nomad family, drive to the Kharakhorum, the site of the 13th century Mongolian capital. A former capital city turned into a local town with the first Buddhist monastery, Erdenezuu is waiting for us to explore. Once in the town, we will visit the Erdenezuu; built in 16th century surrounded by huge 400m x 400m walls built from the ruins of Kharakhorum. Time to rewind from the Gobi tour with a comfortable stay in a local hotel “Ikh Khorum”. Accommodation: Ikh Khorum local hotel | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 300km - 6 hours
DAY 6: See Wild Horse – Drive to UB
Following a breakfast in hotel, visit a Kharkhorum museum displaying a model of Khakhorum city in 13th century, findings and exploration from the ancient capitals including Huns, Turkic and Great Mongolia Empire. Leaving the museum, we will travel to the Khustai national park on paved road. In the late afternoon, we will discover the wild horses of 400 adopting the re-introduced landscapes and wildlife. Drive to Ulaanbaatar and transfer to the hotel. Meals: B, L | Distance: 360km - 8 hours
FAQ & Tour Map
We provide excellent accommodation, transportation and quality of service as listed below.
- October through May (check best time to visit Mongolia and its weather)
- Nomad family stay in Guest Ger : Unique
- You will experience authentic nomad homestay enjoying hearty meals and drinks with local helping the nomad with daily chores from milking cow, processing dairy products (cooking milk, preparing butter) and rounding up livestock. Based on twin to quadruple occupancy, Guest ger are equipped with beds, sink to wash and table with chairs but no standard toilet, tape water, shower and electricity are provided.
- Local hotels & guesthouse have different standards but mostly basic. We use the best and clean local hotel & guesthouses in the region.
- We will cater authentic Mongolian and fusion meals as well as European meals during your travel. Special dietary requests such vegetarian, gluten-free and religious meals are available upon request in advance.
- Depending on the number of people, we provide 4WD car with A/C including Land cruiser, Lexus jeep and Mitsubishi Delica for comfort and efficiency. More less half of the Mongolian road is dirt and off-beaten. Depending on day-to-day program, we drive on asphalt and dirt road for as little as a couple of hours up to six hours with pleasant stops for toilet, photographs and stretching.
- To confirm your booking, we require 30% deposit payment via online payment (VISA, MASTER) or bank transfer and balance is expected to be made in 30 days prior to your tour departure. There is no extra card payment or hidden fee.
- Travel documents, warm coat/jacket and layers, hiking shoes, raincoat, rubber slippers, sunglasses, sunblock, bandana, lip balm, hat, insect repellent, travel medicine and standard toiletries