Classic Hiking in West Mongolia
Hiking in Mongolia especially to Altai Tavan Bogd national Park is magnificent experience.
The Mongolian Altais are known for their high snow-capped mountains, glaciers, ancient archaeological sites, and the unique nomadic customs of the local people including Kazakhs and Tuvans. The Altais with their eternal snow, glaciers, and traces of ancient ice covers have been well preserved due to the constantly cold climate and strong winds. The area is inhabited by some endangered animals (such as the Argali sheep, Ibex, Snow Leopard, Rock Ptarmigan and Altai Snowcock) and plants (such as the Dwarf Siberian Pine and White Gentiana). The Altais also contain Potanin, the largest glacier in the country.
2 personUSD 1650
3 to 4 personUSD 1430
More than 4 personMore attractive price upon request
Include4WD vehicle transportationBottled waterAirport pick-up & drop-offMeals as indicatedFees for activitiesAdmission feesEnglish speaking guideAccommodation as indicated
Not IncludedPersonal expensesTravel insuranceTipping(optional)Visa application & feesInternational airfares
DAY 1: Fly to Ulgii town & City tour
Today you will take a commercial flight to Bayan-ulgii aimag, in western Mongolia, where our local driver and guide will pick you up. Ulgii is the home of Kazakh ethnic groups and this expanding city built in the Khovd river valley is fascinating to explore. Discover Scattered mosques, mud houses, soviet apartments and red theater, museums are architectural artworks. We will visit the provincial museum, the main square, and the open- market bazaar. Enjoy a traditional Kazakh concert in the evening. Stay overnight at a local hotel. Accommodation: Local hotel | Meals: L, D | Distance: 2.5 hours for local flight
DAY 2: Lake Hoton & Hurgan
Today we will head Lake Hoton and Hurgan that is glacial and twin lake connected by a channel in Altai tavan Bogd national park. Explore archaeological and historical sites along the way. The more west you conquer from here, the more beautiful places you get to see. Hike to waterfall in the cliff and enjoy waterfall water color falling from several meters. Stay overnight in tented camping. Accommodation: Tent camping | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 6 - 7 hours
DAY 3: Altai Tavan Bogd National Park
After breakfast, drive to Altai tavan bogd national park and white river valley. A national park situated at triple border with China and Russia is popular for its 20 km long Potanian glacier and snow capped peak mountain called Khuiten with 4374 meter above sea level. The holy mountain is sacred and has a Buddhist ritual site “Ovoo” built by a former president of Mongolia as it became state protected. This afternoon hike to glacial lake on the hill nearby our camp site. Stay overnight in tented camping. Accommodation: Tent camping | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 6 hours
DAY 4: Hike to Potanian Glacier
We pack everything on horse and start our hiking with day pack to the Potanian glacier; Ice River starts from Altai tavan bogd snow peak. Crossing the bridge over white river, arrive at trailhead. Hike uphill as the trail starts to rise. The terrain is uneven and muddy in the middle. Make sure you bring waterproof trekking shoes /rain boots or get through it on horse. You may experience four season weather as ascending the mountain. Enjoy breathtaking view of 5 peaks of Mongolia in front of you after inspirational trek. Visit mountaineers base camp and walk on ice river. Tented camping for overnight stay. Accommodation: Tent camping | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 18km
DAY 5: Horse Trek / Trek back to Ranger Station
Today we trek back to base camp and drive to Tsengel town for our overnight stay. Tented camping for overnight stay. Accommodation: Tent camping | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 18km
DAY 6: Drive to Ulgii
Today we drive back to Ulgii town via Ulaanhus town with unique landscape and snow-capped mountain Sogoog. Visit zaisan hill for panoramic view over the town and local art shops. Enjoy Turkish meal in one of the best restaurants in Ulgii. Overnight in a local hotel. Accommodation: Local hotel | Meals: B, L, D | Distance: 4 hours
DAY 7: Return to Ulaanbaatar
Take a flight to Ulaanbaatar. Upon arrival we will transfer you to the hotel. Accommodation: Meals: B | Distance: 2.5 hours with domestic flight
FAQ & Tour Map
We provide excellent accommodation, transportation and quality of service as listed below.
- June through early September (check best time to visit Mongolia and its weather)
- Tented camping: Adventure
- Camping under millions of star is a brilliant way to connect to the nature and spirit of Mongolia. There is no designated spot for camping but you can pitch your tent anywhere. We provide 2-4 people tent equipped with mattress, sleeping bag and sheets. We leave no trace for camping.
- Local hotels & guesthouse have different standards but mostly basic. We use the best and clean local hotel & guesthouses in the region.
- We will cater authentic Mongolian and fusion meals as well as European meals during your travel. Special dietary requests such vegetarian, gluten-free and religious meals are available upon request in advance.
- Depending on the number of people, we provide 4WD car with A/C including Land cruiser, Lexus jeep and Mitsubishi Delica for comfort and efficiency. More less half of the Mongolian road is dirt and off-beaten. Depending on day-to-day program, we drive on asphalt and dirt road for as little as a couple of hours up to six hours with pleasant stops for toilet, photographs and stretching.
- To confirm your booking, we require 30% deposit payment via online payment (VISA, MASTER) or bank transfer and balance is expected to be made in 30 days prior to your tour departure. There is no extra card payment or hidden fee.
- Travel documents, warm coat/jacket and layers, hiking shoes, raincoat, rubber slippers, sunglasses, sunblock, bandana, lip balm, hat, insect repellent, travel medicine and standard toiletries