Find out everything you need to know about visiting Tsagaan Suvarga in Gobi- places to visit, top attractions, geological facts, tourist Ger camps and nomad Gers.
When you reach the central town of Dundgovi province, you’ll have to drive further for 156 kms in order to see Tsagaan Suvarga scenic place. The reason why people call this place ‘White Stupa’ is that they worship and respect it like the Stupa or a great mountain (khairkhan). Stretching through 400 meters (1312,34 feet) of steep horizontally and facing to the east, White Stupa is formed in 60 meters (196,85 feet) high and steep clay escarpments. This formation made it look like magnificent castle. Actually, you’re going to be taken literally to top of the Stupa since the parking area is there. From here you’re going to walk to the edge of the cliff few yards, then, there is the beautiful sandstone formation.
Tsagaan Suvarga – White Stupa Unique Formation
When you step on top of the White Stupa you’re going to see that right below the White Stupa there are many colorful low hills gradually flattening further to the wide valley. Sand stone formations of the Tsagaan Suvarga composed of many different ores and chemical compositions such as iron and calcium, resulting in such colorful displays as they’re exposed to oxygen. It is believed that there was a sea thousands of years ago and once the sea drained out; this colorful seabed with various sedimentary deposits has been left behind, becoming main subject of ancient legends.
When you climb down from the top and also walk up and down the low hills you need to be extra careful to not to fall or slip over. Make sure you bring water with you. Wind is quite strong here so you need to be careful when you stand on top of the cliffs. It is also great to see sunset here.
Tsagaan Suvarga Ger Camp
There are several tourist camps actively running in the region. One of them is Tsagaan Suvarga tourist camp, which is located in the eastward of the White Stupa. The other one is Govi Suvarga tourist camp, which is located in the westward of the White Stupa. If you love hiking, you can start walking from the Stupa to either camp across seabed. It will take about an hour. Besides, there are several nomadic families live and receive tourists at home. They provide guests with extra gers and meals. Tourists can get to know about how desert nomads herd camels and do a camel riding.
The best months to visit here are late August or early September in autumn. It’s not so hot and not so cold. And number of tourists decrease around this time. The area where White Stupa locates is in warm climate and semi-arid steppe zone.
Don’t miss activities
- Whether you’re staying at a camp or a family guest house you can experience the camel riding here. For 30 minutes or an hour, you can decide.
- Del Uul with rock paintings, which locates in the south of the Tsagaan Suvarga White Stupa. This is 17 km long, 8 km wide low peaks of mountain. The mountain contains about 3000 of ancient petroglyphs, about 20 of square graves and other scripts which are spread throughout the whole mountain. Starting from late Iron age to the Mongol Empire of 13th This place is the hot spot for archaeologists. It is impossible to see all archaeological sites. However you can enjoy the petroglyphs while walking around the mountain for an hour.
- If you happen to travel in late September, there is local festival called ‘Ikh Goviin Temee’ (Camels of Great Gobi). The festival is held yearly for the purpose of developing tourism and increasing number of camels and efficiencies of camel herding. You can enjoy camel polo, camel riders parade, camel race and exhibition of camel dairy and non-dairy products.
Locals Tours to Tsagaan Suvarga from Ulaanbaatar
- Gobi Desert & Orkhon Valley tour – 10 days Best Selling small group tour
- Gobi Desert & National Parks tour – 8 days small group tour with the best itinerary
- Wonders of Gobi Desert tour – winter & spring tour of the Gobi